31 Dec, 2015
9871 Times Read.
Banking Awareness 2016,
RSS Feed for this Article
- Which private bank became the latest entrant to India’s banking sector on 1 October 2015 as it unveiled its banking operations on this day with 23 branches? – IDFC Bank
- Which other private bank rolled out its services during 2015 (on 23 August 2015)? – Bandhan Bank
- What is the official name of the so-called “BRICS Bank” that was formally launched on 21 July 2015 in Shanghai (China)? – New Development Bank (NDB)
- The Reserve Bank of India on 31 August 2015 declared which two banks of the country as Domestic Systemically Important Banks (D-SIBs), which literally means that these banks are so integral to the national economy that their failure would have to be prevented at any cost? – SBI and ICICI Bank
- Which renowned foreign bank on 27 November 2015 announced shutting of its private banking operations in India? – HSBC
- What is the name of the 60-year-old regulatory entity of country’s commodities markets that was merged with the capital markets watchdog SEBI on 28 September 2015 to bring to surface first major case of merger of two regulators in India? – Forward Markets Commission (FMC)
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) during October 2015 initiated corrective action at which public sector bank on the grounds that its management is unable to revive it? – Indian Overseas Bank (IOB)
- Which entity has become India’s newest public sector undertaking (PSU) during April 2015 after Union Govt. increased its stake to over 51% in this entity? – IFCI Limited
- India’s largest commercial bank SBI on 21 May 2015 signed an MoU with which leading international digital payments company to facilitate cross-border transactions? – PayPal
- Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) completed how many years of its operations during April 2015? – 25 years
- Which entity became the first public sector undertaking (PSU) to hit the market in fiscal year 2015-16 with its disinvestment taking place on 8 April 2015? – Rural Electrification Corporation (REC)
- Which country replaced Mauritius to become the largest source of Foreign Direct Investments (FDI) into India during the first half of the current fiscal, as disclosed by the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) during December 2015? – Singapore
- The amalgamation scheme of which two private sector banks came into effect on 1 April 2015 after the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) gave its approval for their merger? – Kotak Mahindra Bank and ING Vysya Bank
- According to the information given by the govt. in Parliament on 11 March 2015, two public sector undertakings (PSUs) were added to the list of sick PSUs. There were as many as 65 units in the list of sick PSUs as on 31 March 2014. Which two PSUs are these? – Air India and MTNL
- The largest share sale by a private sector entity and the second largest fund-raising by selling shares in the secondary market in India took place on 5 February 2015 when a leading private bank raised Rs. 9,880 crore. Which bank is this? – HDFC Bank
- Which Indian company on 21 July 2015 achieved the unique feat of overtaking its parent company in “Market Valuation” and thus becoming the first Indian company to achieve this feat? – Maruti Suzuki
- Which bank on 4 July 2015 became the first in the country to launch the MUDRA Card, under the Pradhan Mantri MUDRA Yojana (PMMY) scheme? – Corporation Bank
- Which entity became the first-ever public sector undertaking (PSU) to issue bonus debentures as done by it on 26 March 2015? – NTPC Ltd.
- India’s capital market regulator SEBI cancelled the registration of which mutual fund operator on 28 July 2015 saying it was no longer ‘fit and proper’ to carry out this business? – Sahara Mutual Fund
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) on 22 September 2015 imposed the biggest-ever fine of Rs. 7,269.5 crore on which construction and real estate entity for illegal and fraudulent mobilisation of funds from the public? – PACL
The Swedish newspaper was recently asked it to delete the reference made by President Pranab Mukherjee to the Bofors scam in an interview to it, as a claim protested by the Indian Government on 27 May 2015. India has expressed disappointment over the disrespect shown to the President, the newspaper has defended its right to publish what was said during the interview.
Know, who is Vijay Kelkar and what is PPP !
Vijay Kelkar is a renowned economist and a former Finance Secretary. He was appointed head of newly constituted committee to give recommendations to recast the model of Public-Private-Partnership (PPP) model in India. India is one of the largest PPP market with over 900 projects. The Kelkar committee will review the PPP policy, suggest a better risk-sharing mechanism between private developers and the government after analysing such projects.
Know, who is Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar !
Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar was crowned as the new Maharaja of of Mysuru (Mysore) royal family. He is the 23-year old grandson of Princess Gayathri Devi, who was the eldest daughter of the last Maharaja of Mysore, Sri Jayachamarajendra Wadiyar. The coronation was held at Mysuru’s famous Amba Vilas Palace, which was decked up for the occasion.
Know about Sepp Blatter!
Swpp Blatter, was re-elected as FIFA president for a fifth term at the 65th Annual Congress of FIFA held at Zurich for four year term.
Prince Ali bin al-Hussein of Jordan stood against Blatter in this election. It is worth mentioning that FIFA is going through a major controversy regarding corruption in the organisation with two FIFA vice presidents and a recently elected FIFA executive committee member still in custody.